We’ll post our latest COVID-19 updates here.
Monday, May 4 — As a result of public school closings in Boston, Springfield and Everett to contain the spread of COVID-19, Scholar Athletes (SA) programming operating out of our school-based Zones has been suspended. Despite these developments, we remain committed to our mission to support academic achievement through athletics.
We’re taking our coaching online. For the duration of this school shutdown period, Scholar Athletes will continue to provide virtual programming and interactive support to Zone members in Boston, Springfield and Everett. Using Google Classroom and Google Voice technology, Zone members will be able to sign up for individual academic support, join group study halls and social hangouts, attend virtual college tours and access interactive content to help them stay healthy, manage stress and focus on their future. We will continue to provide support across all three of our program areas: Academic Coaching & Mentoring, College & Career Readiness, and Health & Wellness.
Academic Coaching & Mentoring
- 1-on-1 support for schoolwork completion and skill development
- Academic assessments and goal-setting to keep Zone members on track
- Virtual group study halls to build community and lessen negative impacts of isolation
College & Career Readiness
- 1-on-1 support for college/career planning and application completion for seniors
- Virtual college tours, college selection guidance, and essay writing support
- Skill-building activities to support resume creation, interviewing skills, and job readiness
Health & Wellness
- 1-on-1 physical and mental health check-ins to support stress reduction and resiliency
- Virtual workouts and wellness education to support physical activity, nutrition, and healthy habits
- Referrals to external resources for food security, health needs, and other COVID-19 relief efforts
Challenging times can bring great opportunities for change and reinvention. As we embark on this programmatic shift, we will measure the successes and challenges of implementing this digital model and focus on our best path forward. The COVID-19 situation continues to evolve and challenge all of us, but we are excited to provide our unique programming on a digital platform to reach Zone members in Boston, Everett, and Springfield.
Please continue to check this webpage for our latest updates and highlights.
If you are a current SA participant or parent/guardian and would like to submit a request for support from Scholar Athletes, please complete the form below:
SA Updates & Cancellation Notices:
- SA Headquarters: The SA headquarters office is closed; staff are working remotely during normal office hours (8:30am-5pm) and can be reached via email.
- SA Zones: all Zones are closed in collaboration with the closure of Boston, Everett, and Springfield public schools – schools will remain physically closed for the duration of the 19-20 school year.
- College Trips: SA-scheduled college trips have been cancelled for the remainder of the school year.
- Boston City League Basketball All-Star Game: This event was cancelled; at this point it will not be rescheduled.
- Springfield Future Stars All-Star Game: This event was cancelled; at this point it will not be rescheduled.
- SA Youth Summit: This summit has been cancelled.
- allSA Awards Night: This event will not take place as regularly scheduled.
- Gala: This event will transition to a virtual gala, still taking place on June 23 – for more details, visit the Gala webpage.