Scholar Athletes (SA) is committed to supporting academic achievement through athletics and was designed to reduce the opportunity gap for urban public high school students. Through its programming, which includes Academic Coaching and Mentoring, Health and Wellness initiatives, and College and Career Planning, Scholar Athletes strives to improve academic performance and personal growth for more than 5,000 high school aged youth it serves annually across the commonwealth.
SA launched as a small program in 2009 with Suffolk’s CEO John Fish as the founder and is now a multi-million dollar statewide organization pursuing its mission across more than twenty school sites in Boston, Springfield, and Everett, MA. SA has seen significant gains in outcomes including a 98% graduation rate among senior Zone members, 96% of senior Zone members graduating with a confirmed college or career plan and more than 800 Zone members participating in Health & Wellness programming.
To read more about the program’s impact, visit https://wearesa.org/our scholar-athletes
Scholar Athletes is seeking an experienced and engaging Managing Director of Advancement to further develop and execute an overall fundraising strategy for the organization. With primary responsibility for overseeing the diversification of revenue streams and broadening the donor base, the Managing Director of Advancement will work closely with the Executive Director, founder, and Board to develop a pipeline of major gift prospects/donors, successfully solicit and steward a sizable portfolio of donors; and strengthen the development function at Scholar Athletes to support outcome achievement and future growth of the organization.
A successful Managing Director of Advancement will:
• Develop new and expand existing best practices around fundraising, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, with a particular focus on expanding individual and major gifts
• Raise at least $1M a year for the organization from individuals, foundations, corporations, and other partners, and
• Develop strong relationships with board members and key volunteers to increase their involvement and support to ensure Scholar Athletes achieves its fundraising goals
• Oversee and manage fundraising strategy and actively participate as a member of the SA Executive Leadership Team to help set and achieve organizational goals
In order to achieve the above outcomes, the Managing Director of Advancement will:
Strategy, and Team Management:
• Assess and build out the development team, ensuring that roles and responsibilities are established to best serve organizational needs and meet fundraising goals
• Further develop and assess the organization’s Annual Fund and process for ongoing cultivation and stewardship of small individual donors to complement the efforts to develop a Major Gifts pipeline
Major and Individual Giving:
• Identify, develop, and manage a portfolio of major gift prospects/donors who are capable of making gifts in the magnitude of 5-7 figures or more
• Conduct face-to-face prospect meetings annually for the purpose of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
• Play a critical role in overseeing solicitations for the Scholar Athletes annual Gala, which raises approximately $3M 65% of the organization’s annual revenue; and plan and implement other cultivation events in donors’ homes and businesses, as needed
• Work closely with Board members, organizational leaders, and other volunteers and other staff, as appropriate, ensuring that Scholar Athletes achieves its fundraising goals
• Significant senior fundraising experience with increasing levels of responsibility, including at least five years of proven success in major gifts solicitation
• Demonstrated knowledge of development practices and principles and a successful track record in managing major gift prospects and closing gifts in at least the 5-7 figure range
• Experience in organizing and leveraging special events around major gifts fundraising
• Strong and thoughtful people management skills, with demonstrated success managing and inspiring teams to achieve goals
• Superior organizational and leadership skills with demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, professional environment and interact with all levels of stakeholders and staff
• Highly motivated; a self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a team and an ability to coordinate and manage many projects simultaneously and handle confidential information with discretion
• A demonstrated ability to drive strategy and manage day-to-day logistics simultaneously
• Strong computer skills and familiarity with development software and prospect management (Salesforce preferred)
• Candidate must possess a passion for working with mission-driven organizations
• Bachelor’s degree required
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Noah Stockman at email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Scholar Athletes offers a competitive salary and benefits,
commensurate with experience and skills.
Scholar Athletes is an equal opportunity employer.