Mission: To support academic achievement through athletics
Scholar Athletes (SA) is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit organization that was launched in 2009 with the support of former Boston mayor Thomas M. Menino and former Boston Public Schools (BPS) Superintendent Dr. Carol Johnson, in response to a series of Boston Globe articles that identified deficiencies within BPS’ athletic programming. With Suffolk Construction’s CEO John Fish as the founder, SA is a multimillion-dollar program designed to reduce the opportunity gap for urban public high school students and pursues this vision across 23 high schools in Boston, Springfield and Everett.
Department: Scholar Athletes
Reporting To: Managing Director of Development
Events and engagement experiences are a means to deliver Scholar Athletes’ strategic message, increase community awareness, raise funds, cultivate, educate and recognize donors and other constituents, increase donor commitment to Scholar Athletes, and provide staff with a platform for one to one engagement with donors and prospects. The Special Events Intern supports the planning and timely execution of events and special experiences for donors and prospects, as well as onsite coordination with guests and donations.
• Responsible for accurate and up-to-date data entry for all event-related lists and mailings. Must have the knowledge of Excel spreadsheet formatting and sorting in order to manage event databases and table assignments.
• Maintain accuracy in producing nametags, tent cards, mailing labels, and other signage appropriate for the events.
• Assist onsite event set-up, registration, logistical support, and clean-up on day of events.
• Work with Marketing and IT to collect, analyze, and report out post-event data.
• Provide support with storage, usage, and display of materials in office and onsite at events.
• Assist the Development Department with coordination of event logistics
• Assist the Development Department with community and corporate team development
• Assist the Development Department with day-of-event preparation
• Provide support in the recruitment and engagement of event participants and volunteers
• Research and identify community and corporate groups and organizations
• Research and secure in-kind donations
• Maintain positive communication with sponsors, donors and event participants
• Assist with event material communications, both writing and mailing
• Other administrative duties as necessary
• Ideal candidate has an interest in event planning, marketing, communications, or philanthropy
• Excellent communication skills, including writing, proof reading skills and speaking
• Must have the ability to perform various administrative duties, including talking on the phone
• Must be able to stand for extended periods and perform various on-location tasks
• Proficient use of the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and internet research skills
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to SAJobinfo@WeAreSA.org